Per viewer’s request, this week I will show you how to massage your swollen feet.
Swollen feet are the symptoms of something. They don’t happen without a cause or causes. If you are healthy with no medical conditions and have temporary swollen feet try these massages to move the lymph to reduce the swelling. But I highly recommend you investigate the cause of the swelling so you can prevent them in the future.
For example, if the cause is too much salt intake, cut down on the salty foods. If the cause is too much alcohol intake, cut down on alcohol. If the cause is sedentary lifestyle, move more to move the lymphatic fluid as it cannot move by itself.
Unlike the circulatory system in which the heart pushes the blood in the closed circuit. The lymphatic system is open-ended and there is no pump to push the fluid.
The lymphatic fluid is moved by actively moving your muscles from exercises or by applying an external pressure like massage. If the swelling is caused by uncomfortable shoes, you might want to check the size and shape of your shoes. It sounds counter-intuitive but drinking more water may help you get rid of the water retention because when you are dehydrated your body goes into a survival mode and tries to hold onto the limited amount of water intake. By drinking more water, you help your body to get out of the survival mode and your body will release the water.
If you have medical conditions including but not limited to blood clot, pregnancy, infections, heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, cancer or chronic swollen feet, please consult your medical doctor instead.
- For this massage, I will work on not just the foot but the entire leg. I will do each step 5 times but you are welcome to do 10 times as you see fit. There are several clusters of lymph nodes in your body. Start by gently pressing your bikini line to drain the inquinal lymph nodes. If you close your eyes you may feel a slight change in your body or not as you do this. Then the back of the knees by gently pressing upward to drain the popliteal lymph nodes.
- If your toes are swollen, press each toe from the tip toward the foot. Caress the top of the foot towards the ankle.
- Circle around the ankle bones inside and outside with the side of your index finger.
- Weave your fingers between the toes and circle the foot from the ankle in both directions.
- Elevate your feet above your heart. Caress from the ankle to your knee.
- Gently press the back of the knee upward again.
- Caress your thigh from the knee to the groin.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Gently press the bikini line again.
Massage Monday #548 How to Massage Swollen Feet http://bit.ly/mm-548